Alternative Night of Experimental Film is inviting submissions of short experimental films and moving image works that will compose the programme of an informal screening in an alternative music venue in Kingston upon Thames, London.
We are particularly interested in works by emerging filmmakers and artists based in London; the aim of the event is to create a platform for conversation and networking for those who are exploring the alternative creative paths through experimental cinema.
The theme is generally open but we are strongly interested in works that explore various aspects of human experience, including identity, culture, and perception, looking to present a programme comprising of diverse voices and original visions.
Additionally we encourage submissions of works that use music, sound design, or dance as a significant element. As the films will be presented in a small music venue we are hoping to create a space for networking between individuals working with film, sound, and music and encourage future collaborations.
We are aware of limitations of access and challenges of both the film industry and the art world and our mission is to support the emerging talent in the field of moving image as a multidisciplinary endeavour, creating a community that provides space for growth and mutual encouragement.
If you’ve ever had to explain what you do to someone only familiar with narrative and mainstream filmmaking, and found yourself saying: “I make weird and meaningful short films” you should submit to our showcase.
Awards & Prizes
This is a non-competitive showcase of the best recent short experimental films with informal networking opportunities.
Rules & Terms
- Films should be no longer than 15 minutes.
- We encourage submissions from students, recent graduates, or those without formal film education.
- Films have to be in English language or be subtitled in English. All films with dialogue are asked to provide a subtitle file.
- Films should not be older than 3 years (should be produced after January 2018).
- Currently we will prioritise submissions from filmmakers based in London who will be able to attend the screening event.
- In the future, along with the development of the festival's platform we would like to open up to other UK-based and international submissions.
EVENT: 25 August 2021, Wednesday, The Fighting Cocks Bar & Venue, Kingston upon Thames, door: 17:30
Join us for a social and drinks at the bar after the screening. Book your free tickets for the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/alternative-night-of-experimental-film-tick...