Experimental Film Society (EFS) is a group of filmmakers dedicated to the creation of uncompromisingly personal, formally challenging filmmaking. Based in Dublin, it operates as a company for the production, archiving and promotion of films by associated artists and filmmakers. Its founder/director is filmmaker Rouzbeh Rashidi. It has succeeded in forging a new and radically alternative Irish cinema. Its defiantly independent vision, both deeply informed by film history and utterly modern, has animated over five hundred shorts and features over its eighteen-year existence. Its films adopt an exploratory approach to filmmaking and foreground mood, atmosphere, visual rhythms, and the often-startling sensory interplay of sound and image. As EFS filmmakers experiment with cinema, they allow it equally to experiment on them, creating richly experiential works that chart an uncomfortable territory that is at once uncannily familiar and utterly alien.
This programme of EFS films also features a short by The Underground Film Studio, the home of projects by filmmaking duo Daniel Fawcett & Clara Pais. The Underground Film Studio has frequently collaborated with EFS, and shares many of its aims and ideals.
Note! Filmmaker Rouzbeh Rashidi and Max le Cain will be there in person to give a quick talk and answer your questions.
Experimental Film Society Programme (66mins):
- Universal Film (2018), Jann Clavadetscher, 4mins, Ireland
- The Family Vault of James Hyland (2017), Michael Higgins, 14mins, Ireland
- INT. LANDSCAPES (2018), Daniel Fawcett & Clara Pais, 9mins, Europe
- Refining the Senses (2017), Atoosa Pour Hosseini, 12mins, Ireland/Switzerland
- Homo Sapiens Project (161-170) (2013), Rouzbeh Rashidi, 8 min, Ireland
- Brine Twice Daily (2015), Vicky Langan & Maximilian Le Cain, 20mins, Ireland