The San Francisco Art Institute Film Department and Canyon Cinema Present a series of 50th Anniversary Screenings
Celebrating 50 Years of Filmmaking at SFAI
Filmmaker, “media archeologist,” and interim chair of the SFAI Film Department Kerry Laitala makes use of decaying cultural relics and antiquated medical technologies to resurrect images and artifacts that have been forgotten. For her screening on April 3, she will present her own work together with haunting, melancholic work by Phil Solomon and the recently departed Barbara Hammer–as well as a special performance of her recent expanded cinema work Chromatic Wheels, with a live score by Jon Leidecker.
- Secure the Shadow… ‘Ere the Substance Fade, Kerry Laitala (1997)
- Sanctus, Barbara Hammer (1990)
- Retrospectroscope, Kerry Laitala (1997)
- Remains to be Seen, Phil Solomon (1989/1994)
- Conjuror’s Box, Kerry Laitala (2011)
- Chromatic Wheels, Kerry Laitala/Jon Leidecker (2017)
This screening is the third of four taking place at the SFAI Lecture Hall in March and April to celebrate the legacy of SFAI’s Film Department. Each screening will feature the work of artists who have studied or taught at the college, along with films they select from the Canyon Cinema catalog.
March 11 – Curt McDowell with Mark Ellinger
March 25 – Scott Stark
April 3 – Kerry Laitala
April 10 – Mike Henderson