This international program brings together archival prints of forgotten films never shown in New York before and new countercurrent voices. Avant-garde artists Don Levy, Philippe Cote, and Ute Aurand share the screen with a new generation of makers whose works explore and embody exemplary fights for different forms of freedom. “On Resistance” includes a World premiere, five North American, two U.S., and four New York premieres, from fifteen different countries.
Introduced by guest curator Mónica Savirón
- Granular Film – Beirut (Charles-André Coderre. 2016, Canada/Lebanon, 35mm, 7 mins.) US premiere.
- Malaise (Don Levy, 1963-64, UK, 16mm, 3 mins.) NY premiere.
- Ñores—sin señalar (Misters—Without Blame) (Annalisa D. Quagliata, 2016, Mexico, 16mm on HD, 3 mins.) North American premiere.
- This Bogeyman (Pere Ginard, 2016, Spain, Super8mm on HD, 3 mins.) World premiere.
- Mirage (Atoosa Pour Hosseini. 2015, Iran/Ireland, Super8mm on HD, 4 mins.) North American premiere.
- Calypso (Annalisa D. Quagliata, 2016, Mexico, 16mm on HD, 5 mins.) North American premiere.
- Prospector (Talena Sanders, 2015, India/USA, 16mm to DCP, 14 mins.) New York premiere.
- De falso a legal en una toma (From False to Legal in One Take) (Diego Lama, 2015, Peru, DCP, 4 mins.) North American premiere.
- River in Castle (Sandy Ding, 2016, China/Croatia, 16mm, 4mins.) U.S. premiere.
- Sakura, Sakura (Cherry Blossom, Cherry Blossom) (Ute Aurand, 2015, Japan, 16mm, 3 mins.) New York premiere.
- Stadt in Flammen (City in Flames) (Schmelzdahin (Jürgen Reble, Jochen Müller & Jochen Lempert), 1984, Germany, 16mm, 5 mins.) NY premiere.
- L’en-Dedans (Inside the Inside) (Philippe Cote, 2002, France, Super8mm on 16mm, 18 mins.) North American Premiere.
Various artists. 1963–2016, 75 mins. 35mm, 16mm, and digital projection.
Special thanks to Cullen Gallagher, Daniel A. Swarthnas, Andrea Franco, Emmanuel Lefrant, Eleni Gioti, Mariya Nikiforova, Victor Gresard, May Haduong, Mark Toscano, Amnon Buchbinder, John Gianvito, The Don Levy Project, Don Levy’s family, Light Cone, Canyon Cinema, Experimental Film Society, National Film Board of Canada, and the Academy Film Archive.