la lumière collective presents: Loop Collective & Dan Browne
Programme 1, December 8th, 2016 - Loop Collective: Recent Works
Programme 2, December 9th, 2016 - Materia Prima: Films by Dan Browne
*Film prints and filmmaker present
Programme 1: 8.12.16 : Loop Collective: Recent Works
The Loop Collective is a group of independent media artists formed in 1996 to explore the roots of experimental film and video in dialogue with other artistic media forms. In celebration of our 20th anniversary and the launch of a new publication on the collective's history and DVD, Loop has embarked on a cross-Canada tour featuring a programme of recent works by our members.
- Erika Loic, Illuminated Text (2012), 14 minutes, 16mm.
- Stephen Broomer, Wild Currents (2015), 6.5 minutes, 16mm.
- Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof, Font Màgica (2015), 5 minutes, 16mm.
- Kelly Egan, ransom notes (2011), 5 minutes, 35mm (digital projection).
- Ilana Gutman, The Changing Light (2003), 1.5 minutes, DV.
- Ajla Odobasic, Morning (2011), 4 minutes, Super 8 on DV.
- Angela Joosse, Of Light From the Ground (2014), 3 minutes, 16mm on DV.
- Shana Macdonald, dissolution/resolution: forays (2016), 2.5 minutes, HD.
- Ty Tekatch, A Dream (2014), 1.5 minutes, HD.
- Dan Browne, Alberta (2014), 3 minutes, HD.
- Colin Clark, The Trail Ridge is Closed (2014), 11 minutes, HD.
- Jocelyn Statia, Untitled (2015), 3.5 minutes, HD.
Total running time: 62 minutes
Books and DVDs will be available for sale at a special discount!
Programme 2: 9.12.16 : Materia Prima: Films by Dan Browne
“No ideas but in things.” – William Carlos Williams
'Materia prima' is the elemental base that is the starting point of alchemical practice, the formless root of matter in which opposites combine. The selection of films in the first half of this programme corresponds to the Chinese system of five elements (fire, earth, metal, water, wood), regarded as the foundation of all natural phenomena and aspects of daily life. This is followed by The Lost Cycle (2016), a series of past fragments recovered into the present. As Browne states, “I found these otherwise lost moments in my filmography, moments that had meaning, which I had intended to do things with but never got around to doing, and decided to release them as a coming to terms with my karma for the medium.”
- Festival of Light (2007), 3 minutes, 16mm.
- On Sundays (2007), 20 minutes, 16mm.
- Hand-processing (2010), 3 minutes, 16mm.
- Quanta (2008), 9 minutes, 16mm.
- Routes (2011), 1 minute, 16mm.
- The Lost Cycle (2016), 25 minutes, 16mm.
Total running time: 61 minutes
Door : 7:00 pm
Projection : 7:30 pm
la lumière collective facilitates the exhibitionand production of alternative cinematographic and performance works in Montreal. The artist and exhibition space la lumière (located in the Mile-Ex neighbourhood at 7080, rue Alexandra) also provides the community with a shared workspace and studio rentals. The space was born from a community desire to engage with artists and their works in an intimate environment. At la lumière the artist is always present. la lumière collective operates on a volunteer basis. Contributions go directly to the artists and the maintenance of the space. For more information on the space, please contact us at [email protected].