Directors Lounge - Aline Helmcke: Time-Framed
Friday July 16th 2010, 21:30h
Galerie Meinblau, Pfefferberg
Christinenstr. 18/19, D-10119 Berlin, Germany
Aline Helmcke either uses the drawing pen or the camera to create her film images. Her last film, “Rehe blicken nicht nach oben”, was realized with actors, scriptwriting and a tangible narration. The drawings, however, are based on photographs, or better saying on media images. The movement that derives from the differences of images – the animation, as we call it – though emphasizes the movements of drawing itself and the differences between one line and another line, but it rarely creates the illusion that we know from other animation films.
What we thus may find here, is the wonderful hesitation of a young artist amongst a world of an rapidly accelerating flood of media images. The hesitation, the slowing-down, may already be a result of the painfully slow techniques of film drawings. (“I think I can call myself a filmmaker now, something I always strived for.” A.H.)
Anyhow, Aline Helmcke conceives images of a poetic hesitation in her films, and it is well worth following their progression and unfolding, thus contemplating Aline’s out-drawn thought process.
A series of films from different artists, selected by the Aline Helmcke, completes the program, all of them either exploring drawing or being composed with frame-by-frame photography. The artist will introduce the program and be available for Q&A. Please feel invited.
Films by Aline Helmcke
- Reanimation (2003, 3:49min, D)
- animation exercises (2004, 1:51min, D)
- Destrukt (2006, 2:20 min, D)
- bus ride (2007, 2:14 min, UK)
- pavement (2007, 1:27 min, UK)
- Kamo Gawa (2008, 4:33, JP/UK)
- 58 Pages (2008, 6:26 min, UK)
- Rehe blicken nicht nach oben (2010, 6:55 min, D)
- Boiling (Hei Cheng, 2007, 3:40 min UK/CHN)
- Reaction (Martin Morris, 2004, 4:00 min, UK)
- Keine Tricks (Matthias Beckmann, 2008, 14:13 min, D)
- Go (Pia Maria Martin, 2004, 12:00 min, D)
- Strange Lights (Joe King & Rosie Pedlow, 2010, 8:08 min, UK)
- Sarajevo Vertical (Toby Cornish, 2004, 10:20 min, UK/DE)
Curated by Klaus W. Eisenlohr