Henry Hills DVD Release Event
Anthology Film Archives
Sunday, June 28 at 7:30.
Filmmaker in person!
Reception to follow.
Moving to New York in 1978, filmmaker Henry Hills formed a strong alliance with the Downtown music improvisers and the "Language" poets, guiding his film work toward a rhythmic, multilayered world filled with unpredictable changes and a striking improvisational edge. At long last, his uncompromising shorts are being released on DVD, courtesy of John Zorn's equally radical TZADIK label. This show includes the very best of Hills's wonderfully intense films - from the downtown all-star-filled MONEY to structural dance films like LITTLE LIEUTENANT and BALI MÉCANIQUE. A major force in new cinema, these films are brilliantly visual, crammed with image and double meaning.
- PORTER SPRINGS 3 (1977, 7 minutes, 16mm, color, silent)
- KINO DA! (1980, 2 minutes, 16mm, b&w, sound)
- MONEY (1984, 14 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- SSS (1988, 6 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- GOTHAM (1990, 3 minutes, video, b&w, sound)
- GOA LAWAH (1992, 5 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- BALI MÉCANIQUE (1992, 11 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- LITTLE LIEUTENANT (1994, 6 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- PORTER SPRINGS 4 (1999, 15 minutes, 16mm, color, sound)
- ELECTRICITY (2007, 7 minutes, video, color, sound)
- FAILED STATES (2008, 10 minutes, video, color, sound)
Total running time: ca. 90 minutes.