Bruce McClure is a licensed architect living in Brooklyn, NY. In 1994 he began working with stroboscopic discs as an entry to cinematic pursuits. Since 1995 his film and live projector performances have been exhibited at numerous venues and festivals around the world, including the Rotterdam International Film Festival, the Toronto International Film Festival, the New York Film Festival’s “Views of the Avant-Garde,” the Whitney Biennial, the Walker Art Center, the Wexner Center for the Arts, as well as in the UK, Italy, Australia, and elsewhere. Locally, he has performed at Chicago Filmmakers and at the Film Studies Center at the University of Chicago.
“Bruce McClure doesn’t make films, he performs them... Twirling knobs, flipping switches, and adjusting lenses, he coaxes a bank of whirring projectors into producing images impossible to record.” The Brooklyn Rail
- 2012 Media City International Film Festival, Windsor, Canada. 2nd place, “This Harmonic Condenser Enginium” (2011).
- 2007 Images Festival, Toronto. The NOW Magazine Overkill prize for “They Wakened Later, Simultaneously, Much Refreshed” (2007).
- 2006 Media City International Film Festival, Windsor, Canada. Grand Prize for the projection performance, “Nethergate” (2006).
- 2005 Images Festival, Toronto, Canada. The NOW Magazine Overkill prize for “Christmas Tree Stand” Parts 1-3 (2004).
- 2003 Media City International Film Festival, Windsor, Canada. 2nd place, for ““Crossfades” (2003).
- 2002 Media City International Film Festival, Windsor, Canada. 3rd place for ““Crib and Sift” (2001).
- 2015 The Institute of Sound Recording (IoSR), University of Surrey at Guildford, UK.
- 2012 Fellow Bogliasco Foundation Liguria Study Center for the Arts And Humanities
- 2011 Wexner Center for the Arts, Film/Video Studio Program
- 2015 “Courting Daylight in Saving Darkness;” Witte de With; Center for Contemporary Art Rotterdam, The Netherlands January 22 – 31, 2015
- 2014 “A Cinematic Atopia (The Process of its Construction)” A/V Festival 14, Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art, New Castle, UK. March 1, 2014
- 2005 “Forsaken Placements; Tentative Platforms : Performative Strutting Fig. 1 : Original Circle” Performa 2005, White Box Gallery, NYC. Nov. 15 – 18, 2005.
- 1995 “Bijoux;” CSV Cultural Center 107 Suffolk St. New York. April 8, 1995
- 1995 SoHo Biennial - 8th floor Gallery, 475 Broadway, NYC