3 different video art programs will be available online on Video Art Miden's youtube channel for all video art lovers and Video Art Miden's friends and audience around the world, from 1 to 31 of August 2020: a selection of video-works by well-known Greek video artists entitled Greece is a state of mind (curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou), an "augustly" music unit under the title August sounds, focusing on music and the creative use of sound (curated by Olga Papadopoulou) and the program Frontpage, dedicated to the world of mass media and communication (curated by Gioula Papadopoulou & Constantinos Stathopoulos) which is presented in collaboration with curator Eva Maragaki (Axion Art) and the European Communication Institute (ECI). In addition, Video Art Miden hosts on its youtube channel the collaborative video of a special international domestic tele-video-performance project titled Forced Memories (curated by Emmanouela Vogiatzaki Krukowski).
Greece is a state of mind // Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou
The title of the selection is a direct reference to the Greek official tourism campaign that was released just while exiting the coronavirus strict lockdown. 8 well-known Greek video artists synthesize through their videos and their personal visions an alternative approach to contemporary issues of identity, culture, self-definition and self-placement in the world.
- Yiorgos Drosos, Black Sheep Escape, Greece 2018, 3.20
- Anna Vasof, Vienna Hit, Austria 2019, 2.07
- Makis Kyriakopoulos, What is a man without a shadow, Greece 2020, 3.19
- Gioula Papadopoulou, When I was the moon, Greece 2020, 5.57
- Leda Patta, the view-er, Greece 2007-2015, 7.43
- Margarita Stavraki, Vows_Offerings for good health II, Greece 2020, 3.17
- Fenia Kotsopoulou, This Dance Has No End, UK 2018, 10.58
- Nikos Giavropoulos, "Quarantine Self-portrait" No2, Greece 2020, 3.18
August sounds // Curated by Olga Papadopoulou
An «augustly» composition of video-works on a basis of their use of music or sound.
- Neno Belchev, SLEEPING GIRL (BEAUTIFUL!), Bulgaria 2019, 0.40
- Vann Law, Night, Good Night, Australia 2018, 1.41
- Daniel Iglesias JR, MARGAUX VOL.1, USA 2018, 2.00
- Manos Arvanitakis, Sexy Christians, Delivery boy, Greece 2016, 3.47
- Agustin Telo, Red-evoked agitations, Argentina 2019, 4.07
- Melisa Nil Yesil, Photos Hacking, Turkey 2019, 0.52
- Nasos Gatzoulis, Keygrip, Greece/USA 2019, 6.00
- Kevin Gourvellec, GIG, Canada 2019, 4.28
- Jordan Marty, Highlights, USA 2016, 2.07
- Guilherme Bergamini, Ferramental, Brazil 2017, 1.26
- Neno Belchev, ICE-CREAM AND FREEDOM, Bulgaria 2019, 0.40
- Yves Gregoire Lizarraga, Voronoi_, Mexico 2018, 2.47
- Absent Chronicles, Rooks & Pawns, Netherlands 2019, 2.29
- Fotis Kolokithas, Bus the Unknown Secretary-Moonchild, Greece 2019, 2.45
- Thomas Valianatos, Trumptard, Greece 2019, 6.45
Frontpage // Curated by Gioula Papadopoulou & Constantinos Stathopoulos
“Frontpage” gathers 12 works inspired by mass media news and headlines, altering the perception of the mass media and information world we are immersed in. Attempting a conceptual and critical approach of TV broadcasts and mass communication in general, the works use powerful images and texts from newspapers, TV and social media headlines to reveal and criticize the dystopic, cruel and often surrealistic reality that surrounds us.
Video Art Miden had addressed a special international call under the theme “Frontpage” this year, calling for video works which make creative use of news and headlines in newspapers, magazines and the internet for a special project in collaboration with curator Eva Maragaki (AxionArt) and the European Communication Institute (ECI) for an exhibition inspired by mass media and daily news.
Video Art Miden and Eva Maragaki decided to present a part of the videos online, since the exhibition in physical space has been temporarily postponed due to coronavirus measures.
- Jack Williams, Observations on News Media, Poland 2019, 0.58
- Jody Zellen, Photo News, USA 2019, 4.48
- Guli Silberstein, Field of Infinity, UK 2018, 05.22
- Chris Tigra, "ME DEVORA, TE DEVORO" (devour me, devour you), Brazil 2018, 0.59
- Smaragda Nitsopoulou, Vanitas or Prayers for those who live and prayers for those who died, Greece 2019, 2.20
- John O'Hare & Tom Phipps, Three Meals from Anarchy, UK 2019, 6.00
- Rodrigo Amarante Guerreiro Gomes, Ultraviolet Garden, Portugal 2018, 2.29
- Pamela Falkenberg & Jack Cochran (Outlier Moving Pictures), Hastings, USA 2016, 2.14
- Katina Bitsicas, Digging for Daniel Delfin, USA 2014, 1.34
- Jasmin Rapti, Fool’s Gold, Greece 2018, 4.10
- Mikołaj Sobczak, This guy made billions with one simple trick, Greece/South Korea/Germany 2019, 10.58
- Sandra Araujo, u$aar v3.0, Portugal 2019, 3.58
The programs will be available online on Video Art Miden's youtube channel from 1 to 31 of August 2020.
Also, Video Art Miden continues till end of August the online screening of “Forced Memories”, a special collaborative project, conceived, coordinated and directed by Emmanouela Vogiatzaki Krukowski (multidisciplinary artist and member of the teaching staff of the University of Peloponnese/ Theater Studies, in Greece). “Forced Memories” is an international domestic tele-video-performance art project created in order to unite the emotions and memories of locked down artists from around the world in the middle of the pandemic. The project has been created as a reaction to the unique human isolation that the planet went through during Covid-19 crisis. Artists from Greece, Canada, Argentina, Sweden, UK and France, inspired by Samuel Beckett’s confined and socially disabled characters, each decided to perform the sentiments of their memories during Covid-19 trying all together to sculpture the One human of nowadays. More info about the project can be found at arts.rfsat.com.
Video Art Miden’s youtube channel link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ly7FIRWx2-fXyrAulY-DQ