Continuing the presentation of video art online during the coronavirus lockdown, Video Art Miden uploads 3 new video art programs on Miden youtube channel during May, introducing new selections from its recent international open call. The online screenings aim to continue the communication between artists and the audience and to maintain an energetic international discourse through art, in the middle of a crisis which, while isolating us, it also unites us on an international level.
The new programs will be available online starting on May 1st, until end of May 2020, on our youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ly7FIRWx2-fXyrAulY-DQ).
Just what is it that makes today's art so different, so appealing? // Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou
A series of video works attempting to re-view, analyze, deconstruct and -eventually- evolve previous works of Art into Today's spirit. A fresh and unexpected conceptual glance into History of Art, using the pre-existing symbolisms to form a new commentation. The tittle of the unit is a direct reference to the famous collage by Richard Hamilton (“Just what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing?”), which was the first work of pop art to achieve an iconic status. 10 contemporary video artists from Italy, UK, Germany, Australia, India, Kazakhstan and Greece create intriguing video works with references to famous artworks, from Venus of Milos to the taped banana of Mauricio Cattelan, inviting us to an alternative “reading” of art history.
1. Lorenzo Papanti, Venus of Forces, Italy 2019, 2.55
2. Valentina Ferrandes, Victory, UK 2019, 7.35
3. Francesca Fini, SKINNED, Italy 2018, 7.00
4. Maria Korporal, La Vitruviana, Germany 2018, 2.14
5. Stuart Pound, Six Portraits of Clara Schumann, UK 2017, 3.22
6. Orlando Mee, Being and Becoming, Australia 2018, 1.40
7. Mrigankasekhar Ganguly, A Tribute to Dali, India 2019, 5.11
8. Dasha Lyubimova & Nikita Semykin, American Gothic, Kazakhstan 2019, 02.05
9. Yiorgos Drosos, WYSIWYG, Greece 2019, 2.13
10. ELAWIATR, ’ELAWIATR THE NEW RENAISSANCE | IL NUOVO RINASCIMENTO’, Italy 2016, 2.22
Confession // Curated by Margarita Stavraki
Video Art comes to play the role of partner, confessor, psychotherapist and tells us about man's deepest desires, anxieties and failures from his childhood to his old age. The relationship of the "I" with oneself, with others and all that is evident by one's daily life, his present, his future and his past, his life in essence.
1. Hamza Kirbas, Powerism, Turkey 2018, 3.00
2. Katina Bitsicas, Luci: The Girl with Three Hearts, USA 2019, 8.12
3. Caroline Rumley, Right Turn, USA 2018, 6.00
4. Asmaa Gamal, Life of routine , Egypt 2019, 1.00
5. Shir Handelsman, Morendo, Israel 2018, 6.45
6. Aleksandra Młynarczyk-Gemza, Conversation with Mother, Poland 2017, 1.50
7. Kostas Gourtzis, Son, Greece 2016, 2.35
8. Esmeralda Momferratou, Truths, USA 2012, 2.40
9. Stefania Latsi, Another grandma, Greece 2019,2.45
10. Vojtěch Domlátil, Life in Patterns, Czech Republic 2017,2.00
11. Marta Arjona & Alexia Pascual, L’aroma de la terra mullada li sembla més dolça que mai, Spain 2019, 4.57
12. Kai Welf Hoyme, Magnitude, Germany 2019, 10.22
Greek v-performance & v-dance // Curated by Margarita Stavraki
A mixed selection of Greek artists of performance and dance who in this case use the video camera as their medium of creation and expression.
1. Stella Mastorosteriou, I Don’t See Deer, Greece 2019, 6.00
2. Aliki Chiotaki, Twine, Greece 2018, 1.17
3. Κaterina Stathopoulou, Veil of oblivion, Greece 2015, 2.35
4. Angelos Papadopoulos & Κaterina Tsakiri, Gender Production Line, Greece 2019, 5.20
5. Eleni Moustaka, GRAVE, Greece 2019, 5.57
6. Anna Fotiadou, A false grandeur where dreams go to die. Remembering Therese Zauser, Austria-Cyprus 2019, 5.00
7. Anastasia Diga, Now Here. Nowhere, Greece 2019, 5.26
8. Nikoleta Koutitsa & Karolina Theleriti, Private Absence, Greece 2019, 2.51
9. Apostolou Ioanna, Quarantine diary, Greece 2020, 2.25
The programs will remain available online on youtube until May 31, 2020: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ly7FIRWx2-fXyrAulY-DQ
More info and updates: www.festivalmiden.gr