the8fest seeks your 8mm, Super-8, 9.5mm or other small gauge film projects (such as loops and installations) for our 2016 installment next January 29th to 31st.
Films can be:
- - Experimental, animated, personal, handmade
- - Diary and essay films, documentaries
- - Live performance and music mixed with film
- - Films from everyday culture - historical footage, home movies
the8fest exhibits all work on film which means celluloid. Works selected for the festival, therefore, must be finished on small-gauge film (8mm, Super-8, 9.5 mm., Ultra Pan 8). We do not exhibit projects on video or digital.
the8fest uses professional small-gauge projection equipment including Elmo GS-1200 and ST-1200 models. Our technicians and programmers have many years experience specializing in small-gauge film formats and technology. The greatest care will be taken in handling, previewing, and projecting films.
Submission forms online at http://the8fest.com
Deadline: September 30, 2015
No Submission Fee!
- First-time filmmakers, youth, & under-serviced communities welcome!
- Submissions can be sent either on film or on a preview copy on DVD, mini-DV or VHS formats or by link to online preview video (sorry we can't accept video files by email or file transfer at this time PLEASE NOTE: Exhibition is on film only.)
- Our New Works program is limited to films from the past 5 years, but we’re always curious to include older projects in other programs. Please feel free to get in touch if you have older work you think we would be interested in previewing.
- Please include film/project description, artist biography, and filmography.
- Artist fees (screening fees) paid to all selected films/projects.
- Application requires the film/project be available for exhibition in Toronto from January 29 to 31, 2016 - Sound on film, separate sound CD/cassette and live performance/narration can all be accomodated. For separate or “wild” sound, please record the soundtrack so that it cues at first image, or provide clear instructions as to when to start the sound.
- Please note that the8fest will screen what is sent to us. The leader with the film will be removed, unless the leader is itself part of the film. the8fest’s projectionist assembles the accepted films into sequenced programmes, so applicants should make it clear where the projectionist can or should cut.
- MP3, AIFF, WAV, or other compressed audio (sound) files can be sent by email.
- Cueing instructions should be included and clearly stated.
- Filmmakers with separate sound should not expect exact audio synchronisation with their picture.
For installations or performances: Please include detailed technical requirements and any equipment needs. We have limited resources for non-projection equipment (e.g. lights, multiple mics, etc.) - the more information the better!
Send your completed submission form + film or preview + other information to:
the8fest Small-Gauge Film Festival
408 Queen Street West, #7
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2A7
Please send all original films/previews by a postal service with electronic package tracking. U.S. and international submissions please attach an accurate customs declaration, such as” Preview material for film festival. No financial transaction.”
Please do not send submissions from the U.S. via UPS (United Parcel Service).
the8fest is made possible through the generous support of The Canada Council for the Arts, The Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto arts Council as well as our sponsors, community partners, and our audience.