"small encounters" presents 10 experimental films all presented on 16mm. By utilizing the materiality of celluloid film, each artist pushes to rupture the mundane to reveal the potential for the mystical within daily life. Whether shot in urban, institutional, or domestic environments, each film maneuvers around the rigidness of these spaces to explore a more poetic encounter with place. With works spanning from 1980 through 2023 the programme charts a canon of analog filmmaking which centres tactility and lyricism in the study of the everyday.
- Fall (AKA Wall Street) - Jim Jennings, 1980, 6 min.
- Close Quarters - Jim Jennings, 2005, 9 min.
- Libation - Kobby Adi, 2022, 1 min.
- Kennington Study - Matt Feldman, 2023, 4 min
- Rehearsal - Nina Porter, 2023, 4 min
- Music for Skeletons - Kobby Adi, 2023, 4 min
- Intimate Archives - Rambisayi Marufu, 2022, 5 min
- Gestures of Intimacy, Shirine Shah, 2023, 4 min
- Minor Matter - Nina Porter, 2022, 3 min
- Beijing 1988 - Rose Lowder, 1988 - 2011, 12 min
San Mei Gallery - London, United Kingdom
Thursday, May 4, 2023 - 19:30