Pursuing Max Ernst’s marks in Sedona, the French artist Maxime Rossi explores the particular landscape of Arizona and the bewitching appearance of its extensive and stony desert which has profoundly marked the spirit and the work of the surrealist artist in exile. By looking for a Hopi ruin once inhabited by Ernst, Maxime Rossi offers with Real Estate Astrology (2015) a hallucinatory journey tinted by a surrealistic survey in which astrology and mysticism seems to fill the paradoxes of history. Invited by the film department of the Centre Pompidou to design this screening, the artist has imagined from the horoscope chart of this event a partition on which the evidences he gathered during its ghost hunt in Capricorn Hill will be presented.
Screening followed by a short talk with Maxime Rossi.
- Allures (Jordan Belson, 1961, 16mm, colour, sound, 7’)
- cosmic palette (Maxime Rossi, 2015, audio file, 5’)
- Project Pegasus (Maxime Rossi, 2010, digital file, colour, sound, 5’30)
- Hand Held Day (Gary Beydler, 1974, 16mm, colour, mute, 6’)
- Two Owls on a Mountain, and a Snake at the Bank (Maxime Rossi, 2012, digital file, colour, sound, 8’40)
- Vision on Meditation III: Plato's Cave (Stan Brakhage, 1990, 16mm, colour, mute, 20’)
- Real Estate Astrology (Maxime Rossi, 2015, digital file (3D anaglyph), colour, sound, 21’)