Close-Up is thrilled to present the first European solo screening for the US artist Kelly Gallagher, comprising ten years of her moving image work across animation, live action and avant-garde collage. These two programmes offer an overview of a brilliant young artist who has demonstrated a mastery of technique, matched with a strong historical and political consciousness. Hers is a radical critique of the canon and the conservative patriarchy that structures and sustains it. Her stance is feminist, anti-imperialist and anti-racist. Kelly will be in conversation with curators Greg de Cuir Jr and Miriam de Rosa following the screenings.
The aesthetic of Gallagher’s work is characterised by cut-outs and collaging, as well as stop motion, hand-drawn and other forms of animation that overlay the reality she depicts. Inheriting a pop aesthetic, but with a radical edge, vibrant colour is extremely important in her work as visual texture and also ideological commentary. This "radical pop" evokes her optimism and the radiant glow of her cinematic gesture a "glitter bomb" exploding with powerful shock waves and destructive beauty. ?
Kelly will be present to perform her ARMed Manifesto and will be in conversation with programme curators Greg de Cuir Jr and Miriam de Rosa following the screenings.
6.30pm - Programme 1
- ARMed Manifesto, Kelly Gallagher - performance reading
- I am the Mace, Kelly Gallagher, 2013, 4 min
- Slower, Kelly Gallagher, 2019, 7 min
- My Gossip, Kelly Gallagher, 2018, 15 min
- Ceallaigh at Kilmainham, Kelly Gallagher, 2013, 7 min
- More Dangerous than a Thousand Rioters, Kelly Gallagher, 2016, 6 min
- From Ally to Accomplice, Kelly Gallagher, 2015, 18 min
8.00pm - BREAK
8.30pm - Programme 2
- Pennsylvania, Kelly Gallagher, 2012, 2 min
- How to Bake a Pie, Kelly Gallagher, 2019, 4’18 min
- The Herstory of the Female Filmmaker, Kelly Gallagher, 2009, 15 min
- Pearl Pistols, Kelly Gallagher, 2014, 3 min
- Photographs from my Father, Kelly Gallagher, 2014, 14 min
- Do You Want To Go For a Drive?, Kelly Gallagher, 2016, 5 min
- Pen Up the Pigs, Kelly Gallagher, 2014, 12 min