VARIATIONS includes twelve Canadian moving image and sound artists interpreting Poem (1957) by Michael Snow. The artists selected for this project approached the work from a number of different angles, perspectives and emotions.
Snow's poem provided an anchor for the contributing artists’ work to be fastened to, while giving them the freedom to allow their subjectivity to influence the result.
Each of the artists chose to cling to different words, and groupings of words, in creating their own unique narrative, a narrative based on an individual assessment of Poem and how it could be interpreted through moving image and sound.
Edition of 300
1. Evangeline Belzile + Ian William Craig (3:59)
2. Stephen Broomer + Stuart Broomer (7:34)
3. Kyle Armstrong + Mark Templeton (3:12)
4. Dan Browne + Steve Richman (3:45)
5. Michael Snow Portrait (silent) (2:16) (shot by John Price)
6. Christine Lucy Latimer (silent) (5:08)
7. Mani Mazinani (5:48)
8. John Price (silent) (3:30)
9. Clint Enns (5:48)
Essay by Stephen Broomer