Produced by Bay Area filmmaker and sound artist John Davis in conjunction with a fellowship and residency at the Kala Art Institute in Berkeley CA, this limited edition of 100 includes two hand-silkscreened gatefold LPs and four silkscreened DVDs of original film and music, plus a 50-page booklet of writing and images bound in a hand letterpressed cover. The project was conceived to publicly showcase emerging and established strains of expanded cinema and music collaboration in the San Francisco Bay Area, as well as to create a physical document that captured that energy.
Although commissioned as pairs (Craig Baldwin with Maggi Payne; Paul Clipson with Tashi Wada; Lawrence Jordan with John Davis; Kerry Laitala with Ashley Bellouin & Ben Bracken), the edition is designed so the works can be experienced interchangeably. This encourages a matrix of possibilities, but also emphasizes the element of chance tied directly to live cinema and music performance (dropping the needle on the record and hitting “Play” on the DVD player will always result in a different event).
Music mastered by James Plotkin.
- Craig Baldwin: Time Bomb (16mm film on DVD)
- Maggi Payne: Black Ice/Static (Music)
- Paul Clipson: Trajections (16mm film on DVD)
- Tashi Wada: Duet Takes: 1. Duet (Take 2), 2. Duet (Take 4) (Music)
- Lawrence Jordan: Driving Demons (16mm film on DVD)
- John Davis: Strategy of Belief (Music)
- Kerry Laitala: Solar Furnace (16mm film projector performance on DVD)
- Ashley Bellouin & Ben Bracken: After Image (Music)