The Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation is excited to announce "Sight/Geist," a new open call screening series at The 8th Floor. The Foundation is seeking ambitious film/video work from NYC-based artists who identify as emerging, in addition to those self-trained, newly graduated, and currently enrolled in undergraduate/graduate programs. "Sight/Geist" will highlight work that addresses the Foundation’s mission of art and social justice.
Applicants should consider the following submission eligibility requirements:
– Works under 20 minutes in duration and made for single-channel projection.
– Work can be in the realm of cinema, video art, or broader approaches to time-based media such as performance documentation.
– While there is no specific theme for this open call, the Foundation will prioritize submissions with an experimental and/or pedagogical embrace of its mission.
– Submissions from solo artists or duos/collectives are welcome, but the primary applicant must be at least 18 years old and identify as an NYC-based emerging artist.
– Selected artists will be compensated in accordance with W.A.G.E. guidelines, and will present their work during a celebratory screening at The 8th Floor, near Union Square, NYC. Artists may be invited to engage in a conversation after their work is screened.
– Non-English submissions are welcomed but must have English subtitles. Open captions and/or audio description are encouraged for submitted works.
Submissions will be accepted until February 20 through this form: https://forms.office.com/r/4TgxysAf1e. Only one submission per artist. Applicants will be notified of their status in March for the inaugural screening in spring 2023. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].
The Shelley & Donald Rubin Foundation believes in art as a cornerstone of cohesive, resilient communities and greater participation in civic life. In its mission to make art available to the broader public, in particular to underserved communities, the Foundation stages exhibitions and programs at The 8th Floor, all of which are free and open to all. sdrubin.org / the8thfloor.org