The third edition of the MACHINIMA FILM FESTIVAL will once again take place at IULM University (Milan, Italy) in March 2020 during the Milano Digital Week. Sponsored by the City of Milan, Department of Digital Transformation and Public Services, the Milano Digital Week celebrates the driving forces that are reshaping work, leisure, and learning.
Filmmakers and video artists engaged in the practice of appropriation, repurposing, and creative remix of video games are encouraged to send us their work for consideration. All submission will be judged by an international panel of jurors and a selected number will be featured in the main program. A Critics' Award will be awarded by an international jury featuring scholars and critics.
Screenings of selected works will be curated around different themes, to be announced. The most interesting submissions are those which seek to capture or highlight a specific facet of contemporary life - from politics to art, from violence to creativity, from technology to ideology - through the aesthetic lenses of digital gaming.
The deadline for submissions is December 1, 2019.
The full program will be announced in February 2020.
Please carefully read our simple submission guidelines and requirements below before sending your work.
The MMF is organized in collaboration with GAMESCENES. Art in the age of video games.
INTERNATIONAL OPEN CALL FOR NEW MEDIA ARTWORKS
- The Milan Machinima Festival defines machinima as any digital video made using video games technology (game engines, game tools, assets such as characters, items, environments etc.).
- Submissions must feature machinima made with specifically with video games (not virtual worlds, e.g. Second Life).
- Submissions must be 10 minutes or less in length. The minimum duration is 1 minute.
- Submissions must have been produced between January 1, 2019 and December 1, 2019.
- Multiple versions of the same machinima will not be considered.
- Acceptable submission formats: Digital video files only.
- Acceptable exhibition formats: mp4, avi, mpg, Quicktime file (ProRes 422).
- All applicants must complete the official festival submission form located on filmfreeway.com.
- One-time, nominal submission fee: $15 or 15 euros payable via PayPal to the festival organizers. Submissions that have not been accepted will not be refunded.
- The applicant holds the sole responsibility of copyright clearance of any copyrighted material in the machinima.
- The submission must include an accompanying artist statement/description no longer than 500 words.
- The MMF is under no obligation to provide comments regarding submitted machinima to any applicant.
- Submission deadline: December 1, 2019.
For inquires please contact the Festival Curator, Matteo Bittanti