The fourteenth edition of Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, the UK’s festival of experimental film and the flagship event of Alchemy Film & Arts, will take place 2 – 5 May 2024 in Hawick, Scotland.
Our call for entries is now open until 1 November 2023.
Across an international programme of cinema screenings, live performances, moving-image exhibitions and a Festival Ceilidh in venues around town, the festival is known for the openness, solidarity, humour and non-competitive nature with which it is delivered.
In delivering our flagship event we are committed to the following:
- all selected artists are paid a screening fee
- entry fees are tiered on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis
- admission to screenings and events during the festival is offered on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis; all exhibitions are free to enter
- descriptive subtitles are provided for all digital presentations
We strongly advise you read our Terms & Conditions, included below, before entering your work for consideration.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
DEADLINES AND ENTRY FEES
We offer two deadlines, an earlybird deadline for discounted entries and a regular deadline:
- Earlybird: 31 August 2023
- Regular: 1 November 2023
We ask that filmmakers submit their work on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis. We do not ask for proof of circumstances, but ask that you are honest to allow us to keep fees as low as possible.
- Earlybird £10 / Regular £12: For those who are easily able to meet their basic needs and have expendable income.
- Earlybird £8 / Regular £10: For those who can usually meet their basic needs and have some expendable income.
- Earlybird £6 / Regular £8: For those who often struggle to meet their basic needs and do not have expendable income.
If you are submitting a multi-channel installation, please give as much detail as possible, including documentation (if available) and essential needs in terms of space and tech. Alchemy will provide dedicated technical support during install and de-install.
We have no restrictions on the premiere status of a film, though prefer not to screen work that has already been widely shown in Scotland. We will also favour work completed after 1 January 2022.
- All selected artists are remunerated for their work.
- All payments will be made via PayPal after the Festival.
FORMATS AND CAPTIONS
- We screen films from DCP and 16mm, and can accept most other common digital formats.
- We provide all films with descriptive captions/Subtitles for D/deaf and Hard of Hearing audiences (SDH), in the event captions/SDH are not already available.
SELECTION AND PRINT TRAFFIC
- All notifications of selection will be sent out in February 2024 if not before.
- Final screening copies should be received by us within 1 week of notification.
- In the case of digital files, we prefer to receive final screening copies electronically – i.e., via Dropbox, WeTransfer or download link.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standards when it comes to communication and the screening of your work; we test all digital files and work closely with our partners and screening venues to ensure your work is shown in the highest standard possible. For this reason, we ask that all selected films are transferred to us in advance of test screenings. So as not to impact other selected filmmakers, failure to meet these deadlines may result in your film being withdrawn from our programme.
- We take a great deal of care each year to curate a meaningful and critically engaging programme. Once a film is selected and invitation is accepted, a filmmaker may not withdraw their film from the programme, and we would appreciate it if you communicated any updates to us following your submission as to any other planned screenings.
HOW TO SUBMIT
All entries must be received via our FilmFreeway portal. We cannot accept entries sent to our team directly and/or over email.