The third edition of Filmadrid (June 8-17, Madrid, Spain) will screen over a hundred recent works, 47 of them in competition on the Official and Vanguardias (avant-garde) strands. Among this year's highlights, there will be a focus on the work of American artist Deborah Stratman, as well as the exhibition I Sing and I Celebrate dedicated to the figure of Jonas Mekas, who will also be present during the festival.
In the Vanguardias Live section, dedicated to the cinematographic performance, the protagonists will be the Portuguese João Pedro Rodrigues and the Moroccan Randa Maroufi. The first will perform in an open space an action in honor of the feast of San Antonio, patron saint of Lisbon, which will include the projection of two of his works. The Moroccan director will explore, through an artistic intervention in Casa Árabe with live audio, the situation of the people who pass merchandise along the border between Ceuta and Castillejos (Morocco).
Among the special screenings, those dedicated to Riddles of the Sphinx (Laura Mulvey, 1979) and Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (Jonas Mekas, 1972). A session will be dedicated to James Benning with the premiere in Spain of his recent works: fresh air and measuring change. Also of notice the seminar given by feminist film theorist Laura Mulvey.
In the section Video Essay, Filmadrid in collaboration with the streaming service MUBI will show several selected works in individual posts in Notebook, MUBI's daily bulletin. The works will also be shown as part of a free screening during the festival.
Works included in the Vanguardias section:
- 025 Sunset Red (Laida Lertxundi, 2016) USA/Spain 14’
- Answer Print (Mónica Savirón, 2016) USA 5’
- AS WITHOUT SO WITHIN (Manuela de Laborde, 2016) Mexico, 24’
- Broken Tongue (Mónica Savirón, 2013) USA 3’ (out of competition)
- Calypso (Annalisa D. Quagliata, 2016) Mexico/USA 5'
- El Brujo (Louidgi Beltrame, 2016) Peru-France 17’
- Entzungor (Ander Parody, 2017) Spain 78’
- Fajr (Lois Patiño, 2017) Spain-Morocco 12’
- Foyer (Ismaïl Bahri, 2016) Tunisia-France, 31’
- Highview (Simon Liu, 2016) Hong Kong, UK, USA 20’
- Montañas ardientes que vomitan fuego (Samuel M. Delgado, Helena Girón, 2016) Spain, 14’
- On Generation and Corruption (Takashi Makino, 2017) Japan 26’
- Rapa das Bestas (Jaione Camborda, 2017) Spain 9’
- Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder (Fern Silva, 2017) USA 9’
- Rubber Coated Steel (Lawrence Abu Hamdan, 2017) Lebanon-Germany 21’
- Rudzienko (Sharon Lockhart, 2016) USA-Poland 53’
- Shape of a Surface (Nazli Dinçel, 2017) Turkey 9’
- Ten Mornings Ten Evenings and One Horizon (Tomonari Nishikawa, 2016) Japan 10’
- Untitled, 1925 (Madi Piller, 2016) Peru/USA 9’